Commer Commando Aircrew Bus XAT368
Photographed in the Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, Elvington, Yorkhire, on 20 May 2011.
Designed in 1946 and in RAF service from 1947-1957. Driver plus 21 passengers, Humber Snipe 6-cylinder 4086 cc side valve petrol engine, max. speed 50 mph.
Sold in 1957, then used by Hull Cricket Club, later used as a factory staff bus and a commercial bus. Finally, as a control vehicle with the British Auto Racing Club, it was last used at the Silverstone British Grand Prix circuit in 1972.
Completely restored by the General Engineering Flight at RAF Cottesmore, on behalf of the RAF Benevolent Fund in 1993.
A total of 315 of these vehicles was ordered from the Park Royal Coachworks, based on the Commer Q4 Commando chassis.
Picture added on 06 June 2011 at 09:58